What's left for FC2 test1?

Jeremy Katz katzj at redhat.com
Mon Jan 26 04:41:45 UTC 2004

On Sun, 2004-01-25 at 01:14, Elliot Lee wrote:
> Things are in devel freeze at the moment. There are some obstacles to
> putting the test1 label on the current tree:

I'd go for "a lot of obstacles" to be perfectly frank.  We want things
to be in a fairly usable state otherwise the testing is going to be of
little use.

> 1. Broken deps need fixing
>
> ImageMagick-perl-5.5.7.15-0.1 requires libMagick-5.5.6-Q16.so.0
> ethereal-0.10.0a-1 requires libpcap.so.0.6.2
> ethereal-gnome-0.10.0a-1 requires libpcap.so.0.6.2
> firstboot-1.3.3-1 requires redhat-config-packages
> koffice-1.3-1 requires libMagick-5.5.6-Q16.so.0
> rusers-server-0.17-34.sel requires libproc.so.2.0.17
> spamassassin-2.63-3 requires /usr/lib/perl5/5.8.2/i386-linux-thread-multi
> xchat-2.0.7-1 requires /usr/lib/perl5/5.8.2/i386-linux-thread-multi

A number of these have been rebuilt to fix...  I'll check what hasn't
and throw at the build system shortly

> 2. Signage
>
> fedora-logos, anaconda-images, etc. need to say 'test' in
> appropriate places.

anaconda-images is on my list for tonight, will be built before I head
to bed

> 3. Install testing
>
> The results from the automated install tester aren't looking too good.
>
> If you have a chance to test installs on rawhide and come up with patches
> to the problems, send them in! :)

Well, rawhide doesn't have what's current at this point due to
"freezing".  Adjusting to the pango changes but the first pass didn't
work, the next should hopefully go better.  Also, work from Friday makes
it so that the SELinux stuff gets set up correctly and keeps your system
from being hosed on an everything install. :)   Need to add policy to
the Core group in comps, but that's ready to commit.

Once I decide on a workaround for the pango stuff, I'll get anaconda
moved so that the devel tree tomorrow can be tested by people externally
too.

> 4. Misc stuff once we have a final tree
>
> Once things are in a releasable state, there are things like export
> control and mirrors to worry about.

Yeah, all the usual fun stuff.

5.  I think we seriously seriously seriously want to finish the GNOME
2.5.2 build.  The current state of the desktop is such that any bugs are
going to be bizarre bogons that no one is going to care about for the
final release.  Which basically means we waste a test release as far as
the desktop is concerned.

6.  Bug 114092 is concerning, at least to me.  davej's more recent
kernel update might fix it or might not.  I can't test that for sure
until I get to the office tomorrow as my test box at home doesn't show
the problem.

7.  No one has tested CD installs to my knowledge.  This means we have
no idea if changeloop actually works or not.  This is critical, because
if CD installs don't work, again, we've wasted a test release.

8.  Anyone looked at hard drive installs?

9.  Upgrades?  My official line is they're not supported for test1, but
it would still be good to know how they break.

KATE is nice and all, but we cannot solely rely on it for testing of
releases.  It can do a lot, but there are also a lot of things that a
human just has to sit down and look at.  Exposure to this point (for a
variety of reasons, no one's fault really) has been minimal and we
really need a bit more exposure on this before I would feel comfortable
putting it out.

Cheers,

Jeremy