problems with today's rawhide

Warren Togami warren at togami.com
Mon Jan 26 07:23:25 UTC 2004

Alexandre Oliva wrote:
> On Jan 25, 2004, Warren Togami <warren at togami.com> wrote:
>

>>useradd from a root console, then passwd setting a password worked for
>>me.
>

> You sure you didn't disable selinux before that?  Running passwd with
> selinux enabled didn't let root change another user's password, and if
> I su to my own account first, then passwd won't even start properly.
> Looks like some more selinux policy tweaking is needed for this all to
> work.
>
> After adding selinux=0 to the boot command line, I was able to log in
> as before.

I booted with completely default settings with a clean install of
rawhide from 2 days ago.  Jeremy Katz suspects that my "Workstation"
install somehow missed installing something that other "Everything"
installs did.  Which install did you use?  I guess yours differs as it
was an upgrade too.

> However, I had trouble to log out after a GUI log in.  Clicking on the
> log out icon I had on the task bar causes the taskbar (or WM?) to
> freeze, such that I can't do anything useful in that X session.
> Ditto for Ctrl-Alt-Del.  Ctrl-Alt-Backspace works and terminates the X
> session.  So I log in again, notice that the icons are now all
> different from those in the previous session (it seems like I got the
> default Gnome icons in the first log in, and another, new theme in the
> second log in).  When I click on the red fedora, only the last 5
> options are available (from Run Applications to Log out).  The first
> block of options simply isn't there.  Ugh.  I can't tell whether this
> is a problem with migrating settings from FC1 or menus are just
> missing, but either case is bad.

The GNOME menus and logout is hosed in my clean install of rawhide from
2 days ago.

Warren