Updating RPMs using binary deltas (demo)

Warren Togami warren at togami.com
Tue Jan 27 07:24:09 UTC 2004

For those folks that want to eventually have optional RPM diffs for
upgrades, please do not continue the discussion here.  Instead if you
feel so strongly that it is technically good and without drawbacks, then
implement everything needed and provide a test repository and tools at
your project site.  Only after you feel your project page, tools, and
repository are PERFECT, then announce here for testing and comments.

I would suggest that you to research the problem that was discussed by
Debian and Red Hat for at least the past 5 years.  Many smart people
have looked at this problem.  Try not to repeat the same mistakes and
learn from their prior discussions.

Do not discuss it here because generally the elders are totally not
convinced that it is a good thing to do.  I personally think it is
possible and good to do as an OPTIONAL thing in cases where the diff is
below a certain % of the total package size, like 10% for example.
However I feel that we have more important things to work on that are
higher priority, like Fedora Project's infrastructure, so I personally
wont put any effort into this for at least a year or more.

Warren