RPM spec in tar file (was Re: An introduction of the new cheerleader...)

Karl DeBisschop kdebisschop at alert.infoplease.com
Tue Jan 27 19:19:12 UTC 2004

On Tue, 2004-01-27 at 12:09, Rui Miguel Seabra wrote:
> On Tue, 2004-01-27 at 17:01, Cristian Gafton wrote:
> > One of the problems is that there is still a fair bit of "black magic"
> > going on about what to do and how to package a project effectively. I
> > think there is room for a documentation project aimed at developers about
> > what needs to be done to create a project-x.y.z.tar.gz arcchive that can
> > be grokked successfully by rpmbuild -ta.
>
> A short way to do it:
>
> 1. edit project/Makefile.am
>    add project.spec to EXTRA_DIST
>
> 2. edit project/configure.ac
>    add project.spec to AC_OUTPUT(...)
>
> 3. edit spec in project/project.spec.in
>
> 4. release by issuing 'make dist'
>
> Of course, this assumes an already working auto* project, which is
> probably the hardest part...

Works fine. But the problem comes when Fedora wants one spec and
Mandrake wants another. As far as I can tell, if the developer provides
specs, it is presently not really possible to be distribution agnostic,
or even responsive to  the various distributions, because they ofetn
conflict.

--
Karl DeBisschop <kdebisschop at alert.infoplease.com>
Pearson Education/Information Please