rawhide report: 20040128 changes

Tyler larson fedora-devel at tlarson.com
Wed Jan 28 20:49:22 UTC 2004

On Wed, 2004-01-28 at 12:50, Warren Togami wrote:
> Julien Olivier wrote:

> >>Then IYHO, so does the rest of GNOME Office, KOffice et all, by
> >>extension?
> >>
> >>:)
> >

> > I think the smiley isn't necessary. Fedora Core should only contain 1
> > app for each task IMO (the one that is selected by default). All the
> > rest should be in extras. And that includes KDE for example.
> >

> Hasn't "GNOME Office" been this nebulous bunch of applications that have
> little or nothing to do with each other, and this was made more
> complicated when OpenOffice.org became open source?
>
> Warren

While I agree that "GNOME Office" itself contains something of a
hodge-podge collection whatever they could find (What's Sodipodi doing
in there?), there's an increasingly substantial amount of connectivity
and integration building up within the major components.

OOo, while well-featured in some ways and definitely well integrated
with itself, integrates very poorly with the rest of the system. I mean,
it even uses its own font subsystem. Furthermore, from what I can tell,
the major GNOME Office apps are progressing faster than their OOo
counterparts. AbiWord has become quite impressive within the last few
releases, and IMO and with all things considered, has overtaken OOo's
word processor in usefulness and usability for many users (though
perhaps not for you).

OOo was a real selling point for RedHat a couple of years ago, but I
think it's becoming less so now. I'd think twice before throwing out
into extras some of our better software.