rawhide report: 20040128 changes

Alan Cox alan at redhat.com
Wed Jan 28 21:41:55 UTC 2004

On Wed, Jan 28, 2004 at 10:26:38PM +0100, Kristof vansant wrote:
> I was wondering how good .doc and .xls support is in abiword and
> gnumeric. It's the primary reason I'm using openoffice. I must be able
> to exchange data with MS office users.

gnumeric is very good with .xls. You can hit problems occasionally because
.xls and gnumeric support things that MS office simply isnt capable of. You
can also get nasties with statistics especially where reloading it into an
MS product gets you wrong answers because gnumeric does things right

I've been using gnumeric for MBA stats coursework happily, and its close
to pixel perfect for spreadsheets. It has no VB scripting and lacks some of
the ui prompts and helps, also some graphing stuff but overall its very good.

Alan