rawhide report: 20040128 changes

Julien Olivier julo at altern.org
Wed Jan 28 23:11:51 UTC 2004

On Wed, 2004-01-28 at 19:55, Dan Williams wrote:
> You did know that 1.1 starts up in under 10 seconds on a moderately fast
> machine, right?

On a Fujitsu/Siemens Amilo D laptop with 256 MB of RAM and a P4 2GHZ
processor running Fedora Core 1, OpenOffice 1.1 takes 67 seconds to
start on the first time and 33 seconds the second time (after having
closed it). If you want more information about my hardware, just ask.

>   There's also a "pagein" module that, after the first
> launch, takes much less time.  That said, theres still work to do in
> this area for OOo of course.

I wouldn't like to sound like I'm just complaining. I'm not. But you
just can't say that OOO takes less than 10 seconds to start now. It's
just not right on some pretty recent hardware, for some unknown reason.

However, Abiword, on the same computer, takes less than 5 seconds to
start.

--
Julien Olivier <julo at altern.org>