src.rpm standards

Jeremy Katz katzj at redhat.com
Wed Jan 28 23:56:05 UTC 2004

On Wed, 2004-01-28 at 18:46, Gene C. wrote:
> I am not sure what the standard should be but I believe that there should be
> one.

Heh, good luck on "standard".  I wouldn't recommend what you describe,
but people will do it anyway.  Heck, I might well have it in one of my
own packages.

> I assume that the various automated build systems start with a clean set of
> directories for each build, this may not be true for individuals (it is
> certainly not true for me).

What we currently use sets %_sourcedir on the rpm command line for each
package so that it's unique (also so that you check out and verify that
what you're using is what is on the tag in CVS, etc).  For stuff I do
that's not in CVS, I have '%_sourcedir %{_topdir}/SOURCES/%{name}' in my
~/.rpmmacros.  If it bugs you this much, I really recommend the latter
:-)

> OK, what do you call think about this?

*shrug*  It's annoying, but I think that the frequency of it (rare to my
knowledge) coupled with the fact that existing practices on things like
this are nearly impossible to change make it the sort of thing that you
just deal with as need be.

Cheers,

Jeremy