rawhide report: 20040128 changes

Ralf Corsepius corsepiu at faw.uni-ulm.de
Thu Jan 29 11:04:39 UTC 2004

On Thu, 2004-01-29 at 07:41, Mike A. Harris wrote:
> On Wed, 28 Jan 2004, Felipe Alfaro Solana wrote:
>
> >> I think the smiley isn't necessary. Fedora Core should only contain 1
> >> app for each task IMO (the one that is selected by default). All the
> >> rest should be in extras. And that includes KDE for example.
> >
> >I disagree 10000000%... So, this takes us again to the same debate over
> >to include GNOME as the only DE (or KDE), or OpenOffice.org instead of
> >AbiWord/Gnumeric, etc. etc.
> >
> >If Fedora stops offering freedom of choice, I will switch away to
> >another distro.
>
> Please don't make such a decision in haste over an irrational
> idea a mailing list poster suggests, which isn't remotely
> reasonable in any sense of the word.
Well, Warren is not an arbitrary list poster ;)

Office/word-processor apps and other similar desktop apps are key
applications which play an essential role in people's decisions to
choose a distribution. Therefore, IMHO, having the freedom of choice on
them is vital.

I.e. I for one find Warren's proposal of dropping abiword from Core to
Extras to be close to be irrational and to be little helpful to the
Fedora Project.

Just my 0.02 Cents.

Ralf