MySQL and PHP now OK together?

Chris Adams cmadams at hiwaay.net
Thu Jan 29 16:34:21 UTC 2004

Once upon a time, =?ISO-8859-1?Q? Nils O. Sel=E5sdal?= <nos at utel.no> said:
> On Thu, 2004-01-29 at 15:55, Chris Adams wrote:
> > Along the same lines, PHP (at least the FC1 PHP RPM) also requires
> > libgdbm.  It also requires libfreetype (another case of the RPM saying
> > GPL when it isn't).  The php-snmp RPM requires libelf from elfutils
> > which is GPL.
> elfutils/COPYING says   The Open Software License
>                                 v. 1.0

Yep, my mistake (another one where the license isn't included in the
RPM).  This license appears to be similar to the GPL, with the
requirement to distribute derived works (the way I understand it
anyway).  What is the difference between this and the GPL?

> > I'm all for getting licenses correct, but don't throw stones at MySQL 4
> > and say it can't be linked to PHP or Apache because of GPL when parts of
> > both PHP and Apache are already linked against other GPL libraries.
> 2 wrongs doesn't make one right..

That is definately true; I wasn't trying to say it was.  I'm just saying
if GPL MySQL client libraries are a significant issue, then there are at
least a few other issues already there.

What would be the possiblity of distributing MySQL 4 but not the MySQL 4
client libraries?  In other words, how hard would it be to continue to
use the LGPL MySQL 3.23 client libraries (with additional development
for protocol updates)?

--
Chris Adams <cmadams at hiwaay.net>