rawhide install troubles

Jeremy Katz katzj at redhat.com
Thu Jan 29 21:15:17 UTC 2004

On Thu, 2004-01-29 at 01:14 -0800, Gary Peck wrote:
> - the SELinux policy package doesn't get pulled in by anything when
>   doing an upgrade. maybe something can depend on it? or maybe this
>   should just go in the "unsupported" category.

This is a good thing, IMHO.  Enabling it on an upgrade is going to
require some manual changes and thus I don't think that it should get
pulled in on an upgrade.

> - i spent a few hours trying to get the new kernel-2.6/lvm2 combination
>   to boot from my lvm1 partitions. i have /boot as a normal ext3
>   partition and everything else (including /) on lvm. i figured out that
>   this upgrade actually needs to be done in multiple parts. if you try
>   to install kernel 2.6 and lvm2 and reboot after that, the device nodes
>   for your lvm partition won't get upgraded and the boot will fail.
>   there should be a note somewhere to explain this to people. this is
>   what i had to do:

Well, eventually this needs to just be made more seamless in general.
Upgrades right now are a shaky proposition, especially if you throw LVM
into the mix, even through anaconda much less any other method.

Cheers,

Jeremy