Upgrade of unmaintained packages

Fri Jan 30 22:17:13 UTC 2004

Le ven, 30/01/2004 à 16:38 -0500, seth vidal a écrit :
> >     I forgot to stick a smiley in there somewhere, caught up in
> > frustration with yum as I was.  :-)
>
> so in your ideal world, what is it that yum should do when confronted
> with a broken dependency or package?

Just skip it for now. (and warn about it)

What's maddening with yum in rawhide is :

1. a new rawhide dump is exposed with provides updates for more than a
hundred packages
2. *one* of the updates can't be applied yet because another package
depends on the old version
3. yum refuses a general update because of this
4. user has to manually comb check-update results to find the problem
update (the package that is not ready yet because all the stuff that
depends on it hasn't been rebuilt), and manually generate an update
package list for yum (basically : the full check-update list without the
problem update). This can be fun with 200+ packages to be updated.

Of course 4 could be :
4. Wait for the repository to be in a self-consistent state

But :
1. If one uses multiple rpm sources this might never happen
2. On rawhide there is a high probability that by the time an update
path has been fixed another unrelated one will be broken and block full
update

Life would be sooo much easier if yum update warned :
Can not update svg package because it would break abiword (fedora-
devel), gdm (fedora-devel), gimp2 (fedora.us). Skip it ?

(ie don't go through dependency hell to find out manually what packages
cause the often cryptic error)

And the user can either skip the package or remove the soon-to-be broken
deps (in this case skip it at first, then remove abiword when it had
been make clear it would not be updated soon)

apt tries to be smart and do the removal of dead stuff automatically,
but really this can be akin to playing with fire sometimes. Probably
just giving the user sufficient info so he can to it himself is wiser.

And I write about the svg example because it's a recent one, but this is
normal rawhide stuff that happens every other week.

[BTW the way yum checks if its lockfile is already present is broken -
yum looks for the English error, but on a localised system like current
rawhide this string can be returned in another langage]

Cheers,

--
Nicolas Mailhot