rawhide report: 20040130 changes

Greg KH greg at kroah.com
Sat Jan 31 00:48:07 UTC 2004

On Sat, Jan 31, 2004 at 12:42:07AM +0000, Dave Jones wrote:
> On Fri, Jan 30, 2004 at 04:01:59PM -0800, Greg KH wrote:
>
> whilst Fedora 2 kernel is pretty darn close to mainline, it isn't exactly
> mainline, what with exec-sheild, and a handful of smaller patches.
>
>  > I don't really care myself, but if you do want to select a specific
>  > device, I suggest the CONFIG_USB_GADGET_NET2280 (you have to choose
>  > one), as that is a real pci card that people can use in a normal
>  > machine.
>
> That was another reason.. I couldn't decide which way to go, so I
> was procrastinating 8)
>
>  > I was worried that there was something wrong with the build that I
>  > might have broken.
>
> I think I'll leave it as it is right now. I still think someone would
> either use an upstream source tree, or if they are using the Fedora tree,
> they'd likely want to change some options in the .config anyway.
> (I doubt an embedded device would want modules for everything under the
>  sun for example).

But the Net2280 device is not for embedded systems (well, it can show up
there, but it's a PCI card).  I can use it on my desktop to test out the
gadget code, plugging the cable from it into the usb bus, causing my
machine to be both a USB host and a USB gadget at the same time.

Anyway, it's probably wise to disable it, as almost no one will ever use
that code :)

thanks,

greg k-h