Upgrade of unmaintained packages

Jim Cornette cornette at insight.rr.com
Sat Jan 31 02:26:41 UTC 2004

Rik van Riel wrote:
> On Fri, 30 Jan 2004, seth vidal wrote:
>

>>>    I forgot to stick a smiley in there somewhere, caught up in
>>>frustration with yum as I was.  :-)
>>
>>so in your ideal world, what is it that yum should do when confronted
>>with a broken dependency or package?
>

> On a distro upgrade, prune the dependency tree and upgrade
> just the packages it can (like apt-get's --fix-missing option).
>
> The remaining packages will need to be cleaned up by the user,
> but in general the bulk of the packages can still be upgraded.

I think that yum should have a provision that upgrades the packages that
the dependencies were all satisfied and then list the unresolved
dependencies after the programs that have no problems are installed.

Also, it would be great for yum (and up2date) to be able to skip
programs that for some reason give 550 errors on rawhide (noarch, in my
case, non-rawhide noarch programs do not give me this error)

But since this thread is about unmaintained packages, like php-imap,
which gave me the dependencies problem recently with rawhide. It seems
needed that the upgrading tools need an additional header file, which
contains a no longer maintained or removed information. This way,
discontinued packages that cause conflict can be removed. Of course a
warning before the package is removed is *highly recommended*

Jim

--
But if you wish at once to do nothing and to be respectable
nowadays, the best pretext is to be at work on some profound study.