mplayer vs. xine

Colin Charles linux at bytebot.net
Sat Jan 31 08:22:15 UTC 2004

On Fri, 2004-01-30 at 23:59, Konstantin Riabitsev wrote:
> > xine uses less CPU on my Epia-M.
>
> I would also note, that mplayer is a pain to use on non-x86
> architectures. It is so optimized to run well on x86, that every
> other arch will have performance problems. For example, on my G4
> Powerbook (500Mhz) I cannot play any movies using mplayer without it
> dropping frames left and right. Totem/Xine, on the other hand, work
> very smoothly.

mplayer on my G3 iBook 800MHz runs just fine. Though I tend to use it as
follows:
	mplayer -vo xv

I found the if I didn't use xv, I'd have issues on occassion.

That said, Totem or Xine work smoothly on the PPC platform for me, as
well.
Colin Charles, byte at aeon.com.my
http://www.bytebot.net/
http://fedoranews.org/colin/fnu/ - Fedora News Updates