mplayer vs. xine

Eric S. Raymond esr at thyrsus.com
Sat Jan 31 14:51:31 UTC 2004

Copied to the rpm.livna.org maintainer.

Michael Schwendt <ms-nospam-0306 at arcor.de>:
> > [freshrpms]
> > name=Fedora Linux $releasever - $basearch - freshrpms
> > baseurl=http://ayo.freshrpms.net/fedora/linux/$releasever/$basearch/freshrpms
> > gpgcheck=1
> >
> > will help with the xine dependencies
>
> Not needed and not recommended. livna depends on fedora.us and Fedora
> Core, nothing else.

Michael (and the rpm.livna.org maintainer), please see my brand-new HOWTO
on this topic:

http://tldp.org/HOWTO/Fedora-Multimedia-Installation-HOWTO/index.html

I found I had to add freshrpms in order to get apt.  I needed apt in order
to get jre RPMs from Dag Wieers's repository.

I would actually like to recommend livna only in my HOWTO, but there
are things it lacks.  If livna wants to be the one-stop shop for
everything proprietary and patented that isn't in Fedora Core (which
is where it seems to be heading, and I heartily approve), then it
needs to carry the following:

Java jre RPMs (see Dag Wieers's repostory)
mame and mame ROM RPMs
RealPlayer RPMs (see http://cambuca.ldhs.cetuc.puc-rio.br/xine/)
Win32 binary-codec RPMs to be used with mplayer