How do you install applications?

Dave Borchard ky0l at yahoo.com
Sat Jan 31 17:44:38 UTC 2004

I am new to Linux.

I installed and upgraded Fedora Linux with an FTP installation.

I then downloaded Real Audio and installed the application with the line:
rpm -i rp8.linux20.libc6.i386.cs2.rpm

I then looked for a Real Audio program icon or listing on the menu system. I could not find the application anywhere. I tried running the installation line again, I got the message that the application was already installed.

I am used to installing programs under Windows, where a desktop icon is created and the program is listed in the menu as part of the automated installation process.

There must be additional steps necessary to install an applications under Linux that I am missing. I tried searching for an answer, but I haven't found an answer yet.

What steps are necessary to finish the application install and make Real Audio function when clicking on a Real Audio filename with a web browser?

Thank you!

Dave