FC3 wishlist - sound server

Max K-A max_list at fedorafaq.org
Wed Jul 7 05:20:29 UTC 2004

> Alsa does hardware mixing with cards that in fact support hardware
> mixing, and for those that don't support it you'll need to set up the
> DMIX plugin. See attached .asoundrc for an example of this.

	The problem with dmix is that the client has to support using it. The
OSS-compatibility layer doesn't work with dmix, most of the time.

	In general, current programs cannot using ALSA mixing, they must use a
sound server.

	I've been using ALSA since RH9, and it's a big pain from a consumer
side of things. :-) Of course, it's great from a Pro Audio standpoint,
because it gives you So Much Control. :-)

	-Max