Definition of Open Source [was Re: pine: UW permission to distribute]

Havoc Pennington hp at redhat.com
Tue Jul 20 18:49:29 UTC 2004

On Tue, 2004-07-20 at 11:34, Leonard den Ottolander wrote:
> Indeed I cannot find an official definition of the term Open Source as
> used for the Fedora Project on the Fedora Red Hat pages or on the Fedora
> US pages. It is probably a good idea to make explicit which definition
> is used.

We have discussed in the past using the intersection of the open source
definition from opensource.org and the free software definition from
gnu.org, which means "only software the two major definitions agree is
open/free"

Anyway, we should not turn this list into a gnu.misc.discuss type of
morass (for those of us who remember the days of gnu.misc.discuss... for
all I know it still exists, but I haven't been on usenet in a few
years... ;-))

Havoc