PROPOSAL: Core size reduction "bug day"

Willem Riede wrrhdev at riede.org
Sat Jul 24 13:21:16 UTC 2004

On 07/23/2004 08:57:24 PM, Havoc Pennington wrote:
> On Fri, 2004-07-23 at 20:28, David Nielsen wrote:
> > As everyone probably knows a few days ago a suggestion was brought up
> > that we start moving none essential stuff like KDE, XFce and a lot of
> > the other duplication into Extras in order to reduce the size of Core.
> >
> > I'm hereby proposing we hold a bug day on IRC, Saturday the 31th to
> > debate the possibility of such an action and which programs to move in
> > that is the case.
> >

> Some ways to define core that might avoid package-by-package debate:
>
>  - only things in the default workstation/server installs
>  - only things that are included in Red Hat Enterprise Linux
>    (don't know if this is sensible, but it might be)
>
> I do agree with the person who suggested keeping Core as-is until Extras
> is really just as good as Core (which means same repository, bug
> tracker, etc. for Extras as Core).

Right. And because there could be rpm dependencies between packages from
the "old" Extras on the "old" Core, that might not be satisfied by the
"new" Core post-upgrade, there ought to be a really convenient way to
upgrade Extras at the same time, either by Anaconda itself or by
firstboot-after-upgrade.

Regards, Willem Riede.