Debugging Lockup

Jim Cornette music-cornette at sbcglobal.net
Mon Jul 26 00:07:11 UTC 2004

Ivan Gyurdiev wrote:

>Hi, my system repeatedly locks up. This seems to occur while working
>with evolution, but I'm not sure. I use Fedora-development and GNOME.
>When it locks up I can move the mouse cursor, but can't click anywhere.
>I can't restart X, and can't switch with CTRL-ALT-F*. System responsds
>to sysrq. There's no Oops or bug in the log. I have 100k log consisting
>of all the kernel messages from boot to reboot, including a sysrq-trace.
>I use the binary nvidia driver.
>
>Would this be helpful to anyone to diagnose my problem, and who would
>that be? Is this a kernel problem or an X problem, or...
>
>IOW, what can I do to help fix this.
>
>Thanks for your time,
>
>I.G.

You might want to check the other lists. (Fedora-list and
Fedora-test-list). Though a problem that related to drm killing a server
for me seemed to indicate a locked up server on a system that I run. The
display left all that was displayed before X died out because of an
error related to DRM. The terminals and keyboard worked though there was
no visual indication from an exited X.

Did you try logging into a terminal blindly, then try running a command
from the terminal? (After lockup or departed X)

[drm:i830_wait_ring] *ERROR* space: 131052 wanted 131064

I believe this error was displayed under /var/log/Xorg.0.log
 Do you have any such errors  in this log?

Also querying bugzilla might show errors/fixes/workarounds if searched.
Bugzilla was unresponsive when I checked a few minutes ago. It should
work soon though. (Unless I was blocked :-) )

Jim