The Fedora Hardware Project - Update

Cristian Gafton gafton at redhat.com
Thu Jul 1 22:06:03 UTC 2004

On Wed, 30 Jun 2004, Scott Sloan wrote:

> My brain is throwing red flags up on the issue of site registration and
> whether or not it's need. I don't like the idea of having it. So I'm
> looking for suggestions because I don't want the site to become: a
> forum, or huge list of flame wars. Site is just a database of supported
> hardware and working configurations to get not supported hardware
> working.  At least that was my take on the project.  But if it must be
> there, I was thinking just for adding and posting configurations.
>
> Looking for thoughts, Ideas, or concerns.

A quick and simple ahck that I would suggest is to adapt the hardware
registration piece from the up2date client (llok for a start in
hardware.py). Ie, the folloowing gives a pretty complete picture of what
hardware is available on a particular system.
	/usr/share/rhn/up2date_client/hardware.py

Now, you can start from there and put together a tool that submits that
information to an URL of some sort. Then you get to play on the backend
with avoiding abuses from folks submitting over and over the same hardware
profile.

Or, you can take it one step furter - put together a quick hack that
allows people to mark every item on the list whether it works or not
before they submit the list.

Cristian
Cristian Gafton     --     gafton at redhat.com      --     Red Hat, Inc.
"Linux is a leprosy; and is having a deleterious effect on the U.S. IT
industry because it is steadily depreciating the value of the software
industry sector."
    -- Kenneth Brown, President, Alexis de Tocqueville Institution