Fedora Core 3

Florian La Roche laroche at redhat.com
Fri Jul 2 09:44:54 UTC 2004

> Make it required?

There are many items that users should be able to choose:
some people want to scan all their devices
at bootup, some don't. E.g. mainframe people say they
want to scan for VOLSER (volumne serial numbers) of
their devices for backups, but I am sure in certain
environments you don't want to scan all devices and
rather just want to have a fast bootup and work with
the "old-style" devices.

It is user choice to enable this and use the benefits,
but should not become a requirement for installations.

We do look forward to improve our udev package.
Some additional config could go in, but stay disabled
per default. Maybe some other could be added that are
enabled by default.

greetings,

Florian La Roche