Fedora Core 3

Greg KH greg at kroah.com
Fri Jul 2 19:55:16 UTC 2004

On Fri, Jul 02, 2004 at 01:36:39PM -0400, Bill Nottingham wrote:
> Greg KH (greg at kroah.com) said:
> > On Fri, Jul 02, 2004 at 01:01:46AM -0400, Bill Nottingham wrote:
> > >
> > > And, random other stuff, of course.
> >
> > Full udev support?
> >
> > Please?  Pretty please?
> >
> > What, do you expect me to go and get the whole community to adopt a
> > common device naming standard first before you will do this?
>
> The problem is more or less this:
>
> - Without a new device naming standard that offers persistent names,
>   what really does it gain you?

I know, and I agree.  Well, I like my pretty, tiny /dev tree, but that's
just me :)

And I'm trying to move toward getting such a standard, but the people
who are supposed to be taking the next step, seem to have disappeared
again.

Time to go kick some DCL[1] members around again...

> I'm not averse to using it, but if you're not changing the device
> names, most of the useful functionality could be done just by
> using the dev.d callouts without actually having udev manage
> /dev.

That's a good point, and should be worthy of allowing udev to be
installed by default.  That way things like HAL and gnome-vfs can still
work properly, as they chain off of those callouts.

thanks,

greg k-h

[1] Data Center Linux project from OSDL:
	http://www.osdl.org/lab_activities/data_center_linux/
    of which Red Hat is a member, but doesn't seem to be taking an
    active interest in :(