Debuginfo + addr2line

Roland McGrath roland at redhat.com
Sat Jul 3 00:39:40 UTC 2004

> Do you have any idea where I can get some info on how this works?

Well, read the source.  Basically, the debug information all lives in
special ELF sections, and the debuginfo files contain those.  There are
some further subtlties to it.  Just use the tools (eu-strip -f,
objcopy/strip --only-keep-debug), or look at -debuginfo packages, and you
will see what the sections look like.

> Even if you could just point me to the original patch or something for
> gdb maybe I could figure it out and try to hack something up..

If you look at current gdb sources and search for "separate_debug",
you will see all the code that deals with it.