Fedora Core 3

Zoltan Boszormenyi zboszor at freemail.hu
Sat Jul 3 17:23:28 UTC 2004

Alan Cox írta:
> On Sat, Jul 03, 2004 at 08:19:18AM +0200, Zoltan Boszormenyi wrote:
>
>>1. Integration of linuxconsole.sourceforge.net full multihead
>>capability. With 'integration' I mean not only the changes to
>

> This is something that has to happen upstream. Multiconsole support is
> a topic for the kernel summit and desktop summit since kernel folk,
> DRI folk and X folk will all be present
>

>>- integration of the PCI isolation patch from Debian's XOrg.
>

> What does this do ?

It provides two new options, IsolateDevice and SingleCard,
both restrict Xorg-X11 to reset other video cards than the
one(s) it drives, e.g.:

Option  IsolateDevice "busID"

says it explicitely or

Option SingleCard "on"

says to only reset the first device in the layout.

I think this is a preliminary solution as X should do it by default.
I think it would be best to leave the device reset to driver internals.

I attach it here for reference.

>>2. Install side-by-side 32 and 64 bit mozilla on x86_64, if the Java and
>>Flash plugins do not exist in 64 bit version say half time between FC3
>>test1 and test2. Change default through alternatives.
>

> Does anything actually stop you removing the x86-64 mozilla and installing
> the x86-32 one with FC2. I've not tried this but can't see any obvious
> reason to fail

I was considering it to do on my FC2 installation but has not had
the time yet. But as I watched both 32 and 64 bit Mozillas to render
some (very) long pages, the 64 bit version definitely wins, I would keep
it if the plugins were available as 64 bit.

There is a question, though: is there any dependency on Mozilla's
libraries? If yes, I then have to "downgrade" those, too. I don't want
to bring half of my system back to 32 bits just to be able to use
the Flash plugin.