Fedora Core 3

David Zeuthen david at fubar.dk
Mon Jul 5 16:17:13 UTC 2004

On Fri, 2004-07-02 at 13:11 -0400, Dan Williams wrote:
> On Fri, 2004-07-02 at 09:53 -0700, Greg KH wrote:
> > What is causing udevstart to take so long on your machine?  On my dinky
> > little laptop it runs in less than 3 seconds.  Odds are it's the rules
> > that you are using.  Care to post the rules file?
>
> Sure.  I'm running J5 packages, all up to date.

Ugh, it's my fault then. The J5 packages includes hal, look at [1]. I
know why this happens too, working on a fix, stay tuned.

Thanks,
David

[1] :

[root at ixus root]# tree /etc/dev.d/
/etc/dev.d/
|-- default
|   |-- hal.dev -> /usr/libexec/hal.dev
|   |-- pam_console.dev
|   `-- selinux.dev
`-- net
    `-- hotplug.dev

2 directories, 4 files
[root at ixus root]# time udevstart

real    1m37.199s
user    0m2.015s
sys     0m3.292s
[root at ixus root]# mv /etc/dev.d/default/hal.dev /tmp
[root at ixus root]# tree /etc/dev.d/
/etc/dev.d/
|-- default
|   |-- pam_console.dev