Musings about on-disk encryption in Fedora Core

Nils Philippsen nphilipp at redhat.com
Mon Jul 5 17:55:11 UTC 2004

On Mon, 2004-07-05 at 16:32, Florian La Roche wrote:
> On Mon, Jul 05, 2004 at 04:20:09PM +0200, Nils Philippsen wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > I realize that it's a tad too late in the FC3 cycle, but I couldn't help
> > thinking about on-disk encryption and how to integrate it into Fedora
> > Core over the last week or so.
>

> Can you look at "cryptsetup" if that meets some of the functionality?

cryptsetup is a nice wrapper around dmsetup for all things dm-crypt
related. When I was writing about "attaching to en/decrypting device
mapper device" I was referring to either use of "cryptsetup create ..."
or the corresponding dmsetup calls. What's missing is in the swap+fs
cases changes to boot scripts and the installer so that the admin can
just specify some swap or fs device to be encrypted and the rest kind of
just works. With user owned encrypted storage the mentioned user
friendly tools aren't there yet ;-).

Nils
     Nils Philippsen    /    Red Hat    /    nphilipp at redhat.com