FC3 wishlist - sound server

Alan Cox alan at redhat.com
Tue Jul 6 16:44:03 UTC 2004

On Tue, Jul 06, 2004 at 07:02:40PM +0300, Marius Andreiana wrote:
> Even more, logout and login as another user. /dev/dsp remains owned by
> previous user, so it can't be used.

If so please file a PAM bug.

> What about including a good sound server and use it by default? I don't
> know what's best, but Jack seems ok.
> http://jackit.sourceforge.net/
> JACK is a low-latency audio server, written primarily for the GNU/Linux
> operating system. It can connect a number of different applications to
> an audio device,
> as well as allowing them to share audio between themselves.

MAS seems to be the project the X world like. Not currently sure how
they compare. I'd note btw low-latency is only of the considerations,
synchronization either via Xtest or another means is also important
(a 2 second latency on my movie stream does not matter providing I can
synchronize video and audio)