Browsers [was: Fedora Core 3]

Mike Fedyk mfedyk at matchmail.com
Tue Jul 6 19:33:38 UTC 2004

Ben Steeves wrote:

>On Tue, 06 Jul 2004 18:55:54 +0200, Tarjei Knapstad
><tarjei.knapstad at predichem.com> wrote:
>

>>On Mon, 2004-07-05 at 13:59, Ben Steeves wrote:
>>

>>>On Mon, 05 Jul 2004 13:40:23 +0800, Dexter Ang <thepoch at mydestiny.net> wrote:
>>>

>>This boils down to personal preference really.
>>
>>Could the browser be a candidate for /etc/alternatives ?
>>
>>Or maybe an env var?
>>

>I don't think you can ship the OS without a web-browser in Core.  Of

Nobody's saying to remove all browsers from core, but to allow switching
of the main browser with /etc/alternatives, which is a mechanism having
nothing to do with core, extras or alternatives.  They just happen to be
named similarly...

>course, everyone and his dog will have an opinion on which browser
>that should be.  I'm inclined to recommend sticking with Epiphany, not
>just 'cos it's my favorite, but because it's the GNOME project's.

People switch to Mozilla/Firefox/Thunderbird on win32 to be able to gain
interface familiarity with a program.  Firefox is the future of the
Mozilla project, why not integrate with them instead of duplicating
work?  There are already efforts to use gtk2 in firefox and mozilla,
just use that.

But I'm sorry to say, that won't happen for a long time, if ever.  Only
time, and the epiphany developer's whims will tell.