Fedora Core 3

Jeremy Katz katzj at redhat.com
Tue Jul 6 21:49:48 UTC 2004

On Fri, 2004-07-02 at 12:55 -0700, Greg KH wrote:
> On Fri, Jul 02, 2004 at 01:36:39PM -0400, Bill Nottingham wrote:
> > I'm not averse to using it, but if you're not changing the device
> > names, most of the useful functionality could be done just by
> > using the dev.d callouts without actually having udev manage
> > /dev.
>
> That's a good point, and should be worthy of allowing udev to be
> installed by default.  That way things like HAL and gnome-vfs can still
> work properly, as they chain off of those callouts.

Basically, yes... and that then makes for a much smaller and simpler
udev.  nanodev :)  Basically, just the callouts so that HAL can be made
happy and you have a nice static /dev.

None of the complicated "which ruleset and set of shell scripts do I
need to run", etc.  Makes things far more predictable, lower impact and
actually gives the real benefit that people are wanting to take
advantage of without the more controversial bits.

Jeremy