Fedora Core 3

Dexter Ang thepoch at mydestiny.net
Wed Jul 7 03:50:32 UTC 2004

Jeremy Katz wrote:
> On Sun, 2004-07-04 at 14:49 +0100, Mike Hearn wrote:
> [snip]
>>- there is graphical shutdown
>
> I'd rather just make the shutdown fast enough that no one cares.
> Keeping X running makes a few things difficult and it would be easier
> just to speed up the process, imho
>  [snip]
>
> Jeremy

I noticed something in FC2 with regards to shutdown...

Most of the time, shutting down from a Gnome desktop or from GDM, I see
the listing of services being killed (the one with the [OK] thing,
similar to the startup process).

But there are times when I don't see this. What happens is all the Gnome
stuff ends (gnome-panel, nautilus, etc), and all I see, while shutting
down is my wallpaper. When X gets killed, I see the standard console
login prompt for a moment. Then shutdown. No service shutdown listing.
Very clean. It seems not as I get it maybe 1 out of 10 shutdowns.

dex