Fedora Core 3

Dexter Ang thepoch at mydestiny.net
Thu Jul 8 05:45:41 UTC 2004

Bill Nottingham wrote:
> Dexter Ang (thepoch at mydestiny.net) said:
>
>>Most of the time, shutting down from a Gnome desktop or from GDM, I see
>>the listing of services being killed (the one with the [OK] thing,
>>similar to the startup process).
>>
>>But there are times when I don't see this. What happens is all the Gnome
>>stuff ends (gnome-panel, nautilus, etc), and all I see, while shutting
>>down is my wallpaper. When X gets killed, I see the standard console
>>login prompt for a moment. Then shutdown. No service shutdown listing.
>>Very clean. It seems not as I get it maybe 1 out of 10 shutdowns.

I just noticed my last sentence being weirdly phrased. I editted
something out and didn't change it. Anyway...

> I believe it depends on what VTs were active when you started X/gdm.
>
> Bill

OK. I was thinking that this might be a "nice" alternative for those
that complain that they want a shutdown screen to hide the "scary" stuff
from normal users. But this would most probably be troublesome for those
that need/want to see the shutdown sequence, having to quickly switch
VTs before the computer actually powers down.

If this is a bad idea and has been suggested/discussed before, I'd
appreciate a pointer to the discussion.

dex