What makes a package nominated for Core? (was: nominate for removal: ethereal)

Alan Cox alan at redhat.com
Thu Jul 8 21:18:57 UTC 2004

On Thu, Jul 08, 2004 at 11:32:12AM -0400, Jeff Spaleta wrote:
> sort of promise to the community that this is going to happen.  And
> I'm pretty sure the LSB isn't ready to tackle this level of detail,
> but if you want to get invovled the on going LSB discussion by all
> means, get invovled.

The LSB has always tried hard to stay firmly out of "what packages"
discussion. It isn't a requirement for standardising so it is something
tha can be left to the market.

There is actually already a lot of correlation and things that get picked
up by most vendors generally rapidly end up adopted by all - because the
community drives much of the adoption (Xorg being an obvious example).

I don't like sendmail - but that is another a Unix or Linux system without
sendmail is treated by mosts like a bicycle without wheels.