Updated Mozilla Firefox Roadmap

Christopher Aillon caillon at redhat.com
Tue Jul 13 21:53:07 UTC 2004

On 07/13/2004 04:15 PM, Matias Feliciano wrote:
> Le mar 13/07/2004 à 20:08, Christopher Aillon a écrit :
>
>>On 07/13/2004 01:53 PM, Matias Feliciano wrote:
>>
>>>The roadmap targets 1.0 release for September 14th (one week before
>>>FC3T3) :
>>>http://www.mozilla.org/projects/firefox/roadmap.html
>>>
>>>FC3 for October 18th
>>>
>>>Since Evolution is the default mail client, perhaps it's time to push
>>>FireFox in Fedora Core and set it as default browser.
>>
>>I don't see what Evolution has to do with Firefox (nit, the F in Fox is
>>not capitalized).
>>

> Evolution is the default mail client, we don't need the email capability
> of the default browser (Mozilla). Firefox seems fine.

Ah.  That logic wasn't initially clear to me.  But on the flipside, you
don't need Firefox to do that.  It is possible to have a Mozilla without
the mail portion.  Try "rpm -e mozilla-mail" for example, or
--disable-mailnews if building from source, which we could easily add to
the specfiles.

>>>Or it's better to wait FireFox 1.0 _and_ Thunderbird 1.0.
>>
>>How so?  That mindset sort of implies an application suite.  Which is
>>precisely what Firefox and Thunderbird are striving to get away from.
>>

> Many FC2 users use Mozilla as a mail client. Because html :-) cross
> platform (Windows).
>
> We can't "replace" Mozilla by Firefox only.

Right.  In order to replace Mozilla, you need a browser, a mail client,
an irc client, etc.  But you're forgetting that we already ship the
other pieces.  If we throw in Firefox, you have your browser, we ship a
mail client already (Evolution), we have X-Chat and GAIM for IRC.  The
other bits included in Mozilla (for example DOM Inspector) are available
as Firefox extensions.  So you have your replacements there.

I'll also note that the Firefox roadmap is just a guideline, and is not
set in stone.  It is conceivable -- quite likely even -- that the
Firefox release will slip past Sep 14.  How far past, I don't know, but
hopefully not too far.  The release date for a mozilla.org project is
always "when it's ready.  which will hopefully be what the roadmap
says".  Unfortunately, past history has shown that the roadmap release
date is seldom achieved.

Oh and by the way, I _do_ want to see Firefox as the default browser, in
case that was not obvious.  ;-)

Cheers.