Fedora extras and the distribution size

Nathan Robertson nathanr at nathanr.net
Wed Jul 14 09:16:15 UTC 2004

On 15/07/2004, at 7:07 AM, Gareth Russell wrote:

> I certainly agree with this - but the problem is, surely don't we run
> the
> risk of alienating some people? The KDE crowd (which is a fair amount
> of
> people) for example woudln't appreciate having their packages being
> sidelined so easily.

Yeah, I've thought about this for a few days. The suggestion of having
a "KDE Extras" CD is the best trade-off I've come up with.

> The other issue would also be whether or not we run the risk of
> alienating
> those users on dial up. Who have to download a lot of packages, just to
> get their system how they want it.

Actually, the proposed idea would suit them, I'd think. Remember, the
base distribution is functionally complete and smaller, and they can
yum the few packages they prefer over the "core" ones. That's what I
end up doing on a Debian system - install the base system, then replace
exim with postfix (example of a preference I have).

Regards,
Nathan.