customizing Fedora Core 2

Panu Matilainen pmatilai at welho.com
Wed Jul 14 09:29:27 UTC 2004

On Wed, 2004-07-14 at 03:45, jeff wrote:
> Aaron Bennett wrote:
> > Hello,
> >
> > I need to make some customizations to FC 2, ideally at
> > kickstart time. What I need to do is:
> >
> > - change the Gnome theme
>
> I maintain a FC offshoot distro. I have my own "firstboot" which
> switches the theme in a shell script the first time the system
> runs after install. You may be able to put this in a kickstart
> file (excerpt):

Would be nice if there was something like /etc/firstboot.d from which
scripts get executed on first boot, regardless of whether the graphical
firstboot is run. I've my own package to do just that, very much for
reasons like this... (not everything can be done from kickstart %post)

[snip]

> > - change the default firefox homepage.
>
> I don't know how to do this without rebuilding firefox.

At least with Mozilla it indeed requires rebuilding, or mucking around
with the .jar files in /usr/lib/mozilla-* which is nothing short of
hideous for such a simple (and I think rather common) thing. And it'd
seem to be the same with Firefox:
/usr/lib/firefox-0.9.1/defaults/pref/firefox.js has this:
pref("browser.startup.homepage","chrome://browser-region/locale/region.properties");

For Mozilla I've been just modifying indexhtml package so that it
redirects to whatever I want to be the default home (but of course
requires Mozilla to be originally built to point to indexhtml contents).
At least it's less time consuming to modify that than rebuild Mozilla
but still aint exactly ideal for something which SHOULD be a trivial
perl -pi -e "s/some.host/my.host/" /etc/somebrowser/default.conf
type of operation.

	- Panu -