Package requests wishlist - pine

Rex Dieter rdieter at math.unl.edu
Wed Jul 14 14:09:19 UTC 2004

Jeff Spaleta wrote:
> On Wed, 14 Jul 2004 07:37:01 -0500 (CDT), Rex Dieter
> <rdieter at math.unl.edu> wrote:
>
>>I disagree.  I would argue that having to wait for upstream fixes
>>certainly does *not* imply a package in unmaintainable.

>  For some packages there can be fedora
> specific integration issues that upstream doesn't want to "fix".

Where does it say in Fedora (Core or Extras) policy that packages
*require* special integration to be included?

Might I also quote another Fedora Objective, #3:
* Do as much of the development work as possible directly in the
upstream packages
Which is exactly what pine's license forces you to do anyway.

Besdies, I'm arguing policy.  The only policy I have found that applies
here is the "open source" requirement of packages to be included in
Fedora Extras.

Perhaps another policy should be added to the Fedora Objectives at the
end about what it won't do:
*  If enough people (especially those on the fedora-devel mailing list)
"just don't like" the package in question, it won't be allowed in Fedora
Core/Extras.
(I'm joking, of course, but only a little).

> Peter already touch on one such potential situation regarding mbox
> corruption.

I would treat that the same as any other bug, and I'd certainly home the
upstream software developers would work just as hard to fix this one as
any other.

>>You just wait for upstream fixes.  Maybe, oh maybe, you (or I as packager)
>>could even join pine's mailing lists, and be able to know the development
>>progress of bugs/fixes.  I'd bet you can't tell me there currently exists
>>no packages in Fedora Core/Extras that doesn't have to wait to upstream
>>fixes.

> The burden is on you... find a package in Core/Extras with a license
> that dis-allows modified binary redistribution.

I didn't say anything about packages that dis-allow modified binary
redistibution.  I said waiting for upstream fixes to bugs and security
issues.  Many, many, Fedora packages don't get bugs fixed until that
happens.  I was drawing a parallel comparison.

-- Rex