yum from cron setting http_proxy

Enrico Scholz enrico.scholz at informatik.tu-chemnitz.de
Wed Jul 14 20:55:09 UTC 2004

skvidal at phy.duke.edu (seth vidal) writes:

>> > http_proxy is not a function of yum it is done via urllib in python.
>>
>> I know; every python application will have to implement its own methods
>> for proxy-handling. A major flaw in the python HTTP classes.
>
> The proxy handling in yum-HEAD is much improved for setting proxy
> options. It is set per-repository stanza so you don't have one global,
> clumsy proxy variable to work with.

Mmmh, please do not invent yet-another method for setting up the
proxy. $*_proxy and $no_proxy environment variables are already
supported by the most applications and are handling 98% of all
practical cases.

> GSSAPI/SPNEGO is a whole other level of use and I'm not sure it's
> worth pursuing at all.

It is not your (yum maintainer) task to implement this functionality. The
underlying library *should* use it transparently (like $*_proxy).

Enrico