Fedora Core 3 wishes

Steven Pritchard steve at silug.org
Thu Jul 15 04:56:11 UTC 2004

On Thu, Jul 15, 2004 at 02:29:52AM +0200, David Nielsen wrote:
> Breaking stuff hasn't stopped FC from making good technical decisions in
> the past, if we continue to support OSS even through emulation we aren't
> encouraging actually fixing stuff to use ALSA. I'm sure that base can be
> fixed for 100% pure ALSA, and especially if we slim that sucker down.
>
> example:
> 4kb kernel stacks in FC2 broke 3rd party modules for the kernel, no big
> deal it was a good technical move and nvidia already fixed their driver,

A better comparison would be turning off a.out support in the kernel,
and the last time I checked, the Fedora kernels still had
CONFIG_BINFMT_AOUT=m.  That means my nearly 11-year-old tt(*) binary
still works.

Breaking old binaries for no good reason is just silly.  You just are
*not* going to get native ALSA support in all those Loki games still
floating around (as an example, which may be bogus, but you know what
I mean :).

(*) Tetris for Terminals.  Google for it.

Steve
--
Steven Pritchard - K&S Pritchard Enterprises, Inc.
Email: steve at kspei.com             http://www.kspei.com/