rawhide report: 20040715 changes

Barry K. Nathan barryn at pobox.com
Fri Jul 16 00:32:50 UTC 2004

On Thu, Jul 15, 2004 at 07:47:53PM -0500, Chris Adams wrote:
> I'd like to see a real Fedora Extras first.  It would be good to have
> ISOs available and anaconda be able to use additional ISOs during
> install.  I think this should be a goal because otherwise upgrades don't
> go so well.  For example, if I have xmms from Fedora Core and xmms-sid
> from Fedora Extras (currently in fedora.us), when I upgrade using Fedora
> Core CDs, xmms won't get upgraded (because of the dependency).

FWIW, the way that Red Hat Enterprise Linux 3 handles Extras
(closed-source stuff in that case) is to have the option of installing
from the Extras CD (or Documentation CD's for that matter) in firstboot.
In fact, the generic button for installing more packages from another CD
is also present in firstboot in Fedora Core 2 and fc-devel (although the
Extras and Documentation buttons aren't).

I can see how it might be better to handle Extras in anaconda for the
sake of cleaner upgrades, but perhaps the RHEL method is still worth
mentioning in this thread...

-Barry K. Nathan <barryn at pobox.com>