Gnome image viewers

David Zeuthen david at fubar.dk
Fri Jul 16 05:29:46 UTC 2004

On Thu, 2004-07-15 at 20:16 -0500, Michael Favia wrote:
> David Zeuthen wrote:
>
> >Well, we just had a discussion on cameras and Nautilus (well, GNOME VFS
> >actually) over on utopia-list at gnome.org the other day and the consensus
> >was that you should only use Nautilus for browsing device whose primary
> >and maybe secondary use was random files.
> >
> >Thus, for cameras and photos you should use a dedicated photo management
> >tool sort of like gThumb that of course should start automatically when
> >plugging in a digital camera.
> >
> >Cheers,
> >David
> >

> I think i might misunderstand your evaluation but I disagree with this
> assessment as i understand it (which is possible because wording these
> things can be a bit tricky). I think that Nautilus should be a
> comprehensive file browser for file systems of any type regardless of
> the content percentage. However to increase responsiveness and slim down
> the codebase the operational capacity of nautilus should be limited with
> respect to any individual file type (e.g. display thumbnails and basic
> exif of images but dont enable color balancing). Such "deep" operations
> should be reserved for the niche applications that provide an integrated
> environment for making such changes. In short Nautilus should be the
> proverbial guy who knows everything but cant really do all that much. If
> depth is the "operational capacity" of an application and the surface
> area is the "areas of knowledge/expertise" then nautilus should be a
> very large shallow pool. And niche applications like GIMP, gThumb and
> others should be small deep pools that exert their increased level of
> expertise and are functionally designed with the particular filetype in
> mind.
>
> In short nautilus should not extend itself very far into any area of
> expertise (short of file operations) but instead remain a general tool
> to organize, browse and make trivial changes to thoose files. Simple
> nautilus should be able to change on those things that are used during
> the file browsing (seems to just make sense to me). Maybe i am not clear
> enough... id be happy to expand on it if youd like. Please forward this
> post to anyone youd like.

Hi,

The idea was not to remove ability to browse your photos from Nautilus,
only to not show a camera icon in computer:/// when a camera is
connected to the system.

So, you'd use a dedicated photo management tool to transfer photos from
the camera to a folder. Later on, no one is stopping you from browsing
that folder with Nautilus, I think even the Nautilus maintainers would
encourage that ;-). But it's probably better to discuss this upstream;
FWIW a link to the thread is here

 http://mail.gnome.org/archives/utopia-list/2004-July/msg00030.html

Cheers,
David