Fedora Core 3

Paul Jakma paul at dishone.st
Mon Jul 19 17:30:08 UTC 2004

On Sun, 18 Jul 2004, Thorsten Leemhuis wrote:

> For Firefox (32bit) from fedora.us I needed no special libs from
> iX86 on x86_64.

You'd be mistaken. It will need a whole bunch of i.86 libs: glibc,
various X related libraries, freetype, various GTK related libs,
libstdc++.

These ix86 RPMs come on the CDs admittedly (or are, strangely,
located in the x86_64 arch RPM directory on fedora.us), and are
installed by default but they're still i.86. The problem is that many
many of these RPMs contain non-arch-specific files. Maybe yum uses
--nodoc and --prefix when installing them, but i doubt it. The real
problem though is where you need or want to install both i386 and
x86_64 versions of an RPM or library RPMs that install binaries to
(/usr)?/bin.

> Yes, often, this is annoying. QT had such a problem also IIRC. Was hard
> to get a 32bit xine run on an 64bit FC2 (now there are 64bit xine
> available at livna.org this is easier again)... But I don't think /usr/
> bin64 or something like that is specified somewhere (LSB)? Maybe this
> could be solved by
> /usr/bin/qtconfig-32
> /usr/bin/qtconfig-64
> and a script or link that points to the right Version?

bin64 is the only sane way really.

> CU
> thl

regards,
 	warning: do not ever send email to spam at dishone.st
Fortune:
186,282 miles per second:
 	It isn't just a good idea, it's the law!