Definition of Open Source [was Re: pine: UW permission to distribute]

Leonard den Ottolander leonard at den.ottolander.nl
Tue Jul 20 15:57:10 UTC 2004

Hello Rex,

> > However, the permission granted by UW to you does not suffice to satisfy
> > the (what I believe to be the) general definition of open source
> > software, which means the right to redistribute with any modification.
>
> That's your opinion.

(Getting into semantics a bit here...)

I should have written "(what I believe to be the) definition of open
source software as used by the Fedora Project". That is not an opinion,
but a perception of a situation. I could share your definition of what
open source software is (opinion), but still believe it not to be the
generally accepted opinion (perception/believe).

Leonard (who's opinions and believes are always his own so people don't
need to tell him that).