Definition of Open Source [was Re: pine: UW permission to distribute]

Nils Philippsen nphilipp at redhat.com
Wed Jul 21 10:24:16 UTC 2004

On Wed, 2004-07-21 at 10:55, Warren Togami wrote:
> Leonard den Ottolander wrote:
> >
> >>fedora.us Extras received special permission from the upstream Firefox
> >>team that allows us to use the "official binary only Firefox trademark
> >>icon" in our firefox package.  As long as fedora.us Extras distributes
> >>the binary of firefox, we may use that icon, but anybody rebuilding and
> >>redistributing the package technically should toggle a switch that
> >>disables that trademarked icon.
> >

> > Now you tell us. Is this in COPYING? Such deals should be made explicit
> > to the user to avoid inadvertent violations.
> >

> Not our problem.  Firefox team's responsibility to enforce their own
> trademark.  I believe COPYING only states the copyright licensing
> rights, which as you stated is different from trademark rules.
>
> I suppose as a courtesy we should add a %doc TRADEMARK file that
> explains the rules, and it should be commented in the .spec file.  While
> we are probably not obligated to do so, it wouldn't hurt to add it to
> the next revision of firefox.

It's only that files like these tend to get overlooked. Additionally,
you could also do something like this in the spec file:

%define fedora_buildsys %(if [ "$(hostname -f | grep '\.fedora\.us')" ];
then echo 1; else echo 0; fi)
[...]
%if %fedora_buildsys
SourceXY: firefox-tm-icon.png
%endif
[...]
%build
%if %fedora_buildsys
# Replace non-TMed icon with TMed one
cp -f %{SOURCEXY} [...]
%endif
[...]

This would pretty much ensure that nobody _accidentally_ violates the
trademark. It's good to cover our own asses, but if we can cover those
of our users, it's even better.

Nils
     Nils Philippsen    /    Red Hat    /    nphilipp at redhat.com