Definition of Open Source [was Re: pine: UW permission to distribute]

Bill Nottingham notting at redhat.com
Fri Jul 23 18:50:58 UTC 2004

Michael Tiemann (tiemann at redhat.com) said:
> * Source and License.  Is source code included with the package?  If
>   not, does the package need and deserve a "binary-only exception"?  If
>   source is available with the package, is the license governing the
>   entire package open source (i.e., OSD-compliant)?  If so, is it also
>   free software? [Meets OSS and/or Free Software criteria for Fedora]

Well, the overarching definition of Core and Extras as originally
defined was that there were *no* binary exceptions.

> Common Fedora collection guidelines are as follows:
>
> First, all packages destined for any Fedora colletion must meet, for our
> own protection and sanity, the following standards:
>
> 	Open source and/or Free Software
> 	Shippable from the USA
> 	Meets other applicable US law (dual use, gambling, patent)
> 	Not of an adult only nature
> 	Building rules to meet policy above
> 	Active maintenance and release of code
> 	Must keep record/inform us of cryptography uses
> 	CVS committers to have signed needed paperwork
> 	Changes should always be pushed upstream when possible
> 	Active involvement with upstream packages
> 	Upstream view strongly favoured in maintainer choices
> 	Does not cause gratuitous offence (including in other countries)
> 		[ie nazi deathcamp pacman is out, but non gratuitous stuff
> 		 like alcohol related software shouldn't be]
> 	(?)We host build CVS for packaging not packages themselves normally
> 	Project maintains web pages in the standard format
> 	Project maintains a signing key securely and a web page for it
> 	Project page content has any required footers/header notices
> 	Project keeps any seperate content/discussion board etc on its
> 		own site and clearly distinguishable from the hosting pages

This is good, but once you get to the latter few, you've gotten to the
point where we have no software. :)

> Fedora Extras: the maximal universe of packages that
>
> 	* include all Fedora Core packages
> 	* meet open source and legal requirements
> 	* are 100% consistent with Fedora Core
> 	* are 100% consistent (not conflicting) with each other
> 	* preference for packages that are state-of-the-art
> 	* preference for packages that have strong community support
>
> Fedora Extras can be viewed as what Fedora Core would be if there were
> no limits on the number or size of packages.

It's not just this. For example, Fedora Extras is more a target for
niche packages, whether it's a frobnicator for the MegaFrobozz PCI
card, or specialized biomedical imaging software.

> Fedora Addons: packages that are consistent with Fedora Core, but not
> necessarily all of Fedora Extras.  This might be the one place where OSS
> requirements are overlooked, in which case this may be the collection
> where binary-only packages find their home(s).  But that remains to be
> debated (i.e., we may want to never confuse people about what "Fedora",
> in all its incarnations, means).

The biggest issue here is that 'Addons' that don't fit the Core
or Extras profile mainly fall into two categories:

- can't ship because of free/OSS rules
- can't ship because of patent and other legal rules

The latter of those *cannot* be branded as Fedora(tm), and the
former really is a very small case.

> Fedora Desktop: a subset of Fedora Extras that provide all useful
> Desktop applications (Web browser, Email client, Word Processor,
> Spreadsheet, Presentation Software, Image Editing and Viewing Software,
> etc).  This subset may also be a subset, superset, or a non-proper
> superset of Fedora Core.
>
> 	* if needed, can be "upgraded" to Fedora Core via a network
> 	  connection by issuing the appropriate command
> 	* preference to include packages needed to support a "managed"
> 	  and "secure" desktop environment
> 	* preference to avoid other packages not likely useful to a
> 	  "typical" desktop user
> 	* preference to limit total packages to a minimal number of CDs

The desktop really should be a subset of Fedora Core. If a specific
need for something isn't satisfied for Core, it should be in Core.

> Fedora Alternatives and Fedora Legacy: defined externally.  To first
> approximation, Fedora Alternatives are collections that meet OSS
> guideliness but do not meet Fedora Core and/or Fedora Extras
> compatibility requirements.

As originally defined, Alternatives is for alternative versions of
Core or Extras software, and Legacy is maintenance for previous
Core releases.

Bill