PROPOSAL: Core size reduction "bug day"

Havoc Pennington hp at redhat.com
Sat Jul 24 00:57:24 UTC 2004

On Fri, 2004-07-23 at 20:28, David Nielsen wrote:
> As everyone probably knows a few days ago a suggestion was brought up
> that we start moving none essential stuff like KDE, XFce and a lot of
> the other duplication into Extras in order to reduce the size of Core.
>
> I'm hereby proposing we hold a bug day on IRC, Saturday the 31th to
> debate the possibility of such an action and which programs to move in
> that is the case.

Some ways to define core that might avoid package-by-package debate:

 - only things in the default workstation/server installs
 - only things that are included in Red Hat Enterprise Linux
   (don't know if this is sensible, but it might be)

I do agree with the person who suggested keeping Core as-is until Extras
is really just as good as Core (which means same repository, bug
tracker, etc. for Extras as Core).

Havoc