PROPOSAL: Core size reduction "bug day"

Sindre Pedersen Bjordal foolish at fedoraforum.org
Sat Jul 24 01:24:40 UTC 2004

For what it's worth: I very much agree on making the core smaller.
Here's my suggestions:

- Make it possible to install a minimal install using only the first cd
(or a even smaller cd).

- Let the Core be the defaults only. Anything not in Desktop,
Workstation or Server (are there any other defaults?) doesn't have to be
included in the Core. If you're capable of selecting the packages you
want to use in anaconda, you're capable of choosing components after
install or by another method.

- Add-on Cd's with things like KDE and XFCE. Again, if you're capable of
choosing KDE during install, you're capable of downloading (or get by
other means) the KDE add-on cd. If you want to use some kde application,
like k3b, dependencies will be pulled automatically. There's no need for
any major changes in anaconda either, users who want KDE could choose it
just like they do now. Anaconda already lists the required Cd's before
installation starts, without any knowledge about how anaconda does its
magic, it should be able to list the KDE add-on cd as required if KDE
packages are selected by the user. One disadvantage with this is that
GNOME users still do rely on some kde software, like k3b.

A lot of new users tend to do a Complete installation just because they
don't want to deal with any kind of dependency or missing -devel later
on. We need to educate users on how to get software after installation,
especially if we make the core smaller.

The proposed "Start Here" Fedora introduction would be a good place to
do this. We don't want people reinstalling because they couldn't get
something neat their friend told them about to compile due to missing
kdemultimedia or some -devel file.

--
Sindre Pedersen Bjordal <foolish at fedoraforum.org>
www.fedoraforum.org