IDEA: Shortening boot-time

Michael Favia garbage at insitesinc.com
Sat Jul 24 02:37:40 UTC 2004

Boot time optimization is important for 3 reasons if not more:

1. Laptop users
2. Eco-friendly/Frugal desktop users
3. It sets the stage for what to expect everytime the computer *IS*
loaded (meaning if it is slow  and unpolished the user percieves what
follows as more of the same. I call this "generalization before
specification").

It is like a nice dry wine. Even though the actual taste of the wine is
superior to the overly sweet alternatives most (especially
unexperienced) drinkers are put off by the pungent first sip. This is
the doorway to all the work we do and failing to construct it porperly
because some dont benefit is a bit short sighted in my opinion. Besides
the gdm puts unexperienced users at ease and all the text flying by make
them very nervous.

--
Michael Favia