IDEA: Shortening boot-time

Mike Fedyk mfedyk at matchmail.com
Sat Jul 24 02:55:08 UTC 2004

Matthew Miller wrote:

>On Sat, Jul 24, 2004 at 03:26:27AM +0200, David Nielsen wrote:
>

>>>Size        : 21682516
>>>

>>Bah harddrives are cheap.. unless you are running some kind of odd flash
>>based embedded system or another kind of limited setup depending on
>>python in this manner shouldn't be a problem, and if you do, I highly
>>doubt you would be running a vanilla Fedora Core.
>>

>Double bah to that. :)
>
>Just because HDs are cheap isn't a good reason to dump another 20MB on the
>root filesystem.

Can't the package be split?  All 20MB can't be all[1] for the core
interpreter.  Just move the parts needed, and don't parse html or
whatever wasn't taken from /usr in your init scripts.

But why does everything have to be python in fedora/RH?  If you're going
to change the init system, shouldn't it be something that can become a
standard across the different distributions?  There's already a prior
implementation in ruby if you're going to go with a non-shell based init
system.

Count one negative vote for all non-shell based init proposals.

[1]
rpm -ql python|xargs du -sk|sort -n:

896     /usr/bin/python
912     /usr/lib/python2.3/xml
1260    /usr/lib/python2.3/email
1476    /usr/lib/python2.3/encodings
1772    /usr/lib/python2.3/lib-dynload/japanese
1788    /usr/lib/python2.3/distutils
2272    /usr/lib/python2.3/idlelib
3460    /usr/lib/python2.3/lib-dynload
44168   /usr/lib/python2.3/site-packages
67744   /usr/lib/python2.3